When bad things happen to innocent people, especially children, the number one question is “Why?” Another common question is, “Why did God allow it to happen?” The horrendous shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas has raised these and other questions.
There are at least four possible reasons behind such tragedies:
1. The work of Satan (Read Job 1 to see how much grief he can bring in a single day).
2. The fallen nature of the world (Unfortunate events are inevitably linked to a flawed world; see Luke 13:4ff - the Tower of Siloam).
3. The malevolent actions of wicked people (See what Pilate did in Luke 13:1).
4. The fact that God grants everyone free will, the choice to do right or wrong. (The only way to eliminate tragedies like the recent shooting is for God to remove our ability to choose and force us to do good.)
We may never understand all the reasons that the alleged shooter decided to gun down 21 innocent people. But here are a few things we CAN know:
- God didn’t cause the Uvalde shooting.
- God didn’t look the other way and ignore the Uvalde shooting.
- God saw the shooting, loathed the shooting, hurt deeply for the victims (and their
families), and will bring comfort and hope through His word and His servants.
Keep praying for the families of the victims, along with the students, faculty and staff of Robb Elementary School. If any good can come out of this, God will make it happen. And He may use your prayers and support to do it.