Ask any coach, supervisor or manager if commitment is important for success, and you’ll hear a unanimous “Yes!” To be committed means to be fully or completely dedicated to a task, endeavor or goal. It means to remain engaged, despite setbacks and distractions.
Commitment requires that one carry out a sustained effort over the long haul. But this rarely comes easily. In order to be truly committed to anything, one must develop routines and habits that keep one focused on the objective or goal. This might include repeating the goal aloud daily, visualizing success, and recording progress on paper.
For Christians, commitment is essential to pleasing God and following Christ. Jesus said, "No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God" (Lk. 9:62). It will help if we strive to be committed in the eight spiritual areas listed below.
1. Be committed in your FAITH in Jesus Christ (Col. 2:5).
2. Be committed in your BIBLE STUDY (Acts 17:11; 2 Tim. 2:15).
3. Be committed in your PRAYERS (1 Thess. 5:17).
4. Be committed in your WORSHIP ATTENDANCE (Heb. 10:24-25).
5. Be committed in your GIVING (2 Cor. 9:6-8).
6. Be committed in your SERVICE TO OTHERS (Gal. 6:10)
7. Be committed in your LOVE FOR OTHERS (1 Pet. 4:8; 1 John 4:11).
8. Be committed in SHARING YOUR FAITH (Mark 16:15, 1 Tim. 3:15).
It’s easy to see that commitment is very important to the Christian. Endeavor to become even more committed in your service to God, and He will richly bless you for doing so!
A Recommitted Me in 2023