Jesus said, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mk. 16:15)
Paul responded, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes…” (Rom. 1:16)
Nothing on earth is as fulfilling as leading a lost soul to Christ. However, some Christians believe that the pursuit of souls is restricted to preachers or trained personal workers. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, there are at least 6 ways that any Christian can help lead others to Christ.
1. Pray specifically for one lost soul daily. Even Paul prayed regularly for his lost Jewish countrymen – Rom. 10:1.
2. Pray for God to lead you to a lost soul, or vice versa. God has answered such prayers by leading many Christians in the direction of searching souls. (See Acts 10:1ff & 16:9ff.)
3. Call or visit a church member that no longer attends services. Such contacts have turned many wayward souls around. James wrote, "…he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death…." Jam. 5:19-20.
4. Keep inviting people to church services or activities. This is the “come & see” approach - Jn. 1:46. It is estimated that 30% of those that obey the gospel do so after receiving at least 5 invitations to attend.
5. Speak to every visitor. Surveys indicate that the chief factor that determines whether visitors return is the initial reception they receive. If a visitor immediately feels "at home", he or she will almost always return.
6. Give a little more. It is a fact that soul-winning tools such as radio, TV, the internet, billboards and newspapers are often restricted by insufficient funding. Some churches spend twice as much on air conditioning than on winning souls.
Won’t you take part in the greatest endeavor of all? Start by picking a soul and praying for them daily. "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, and he who wins souls is wise" Prov. 11:30.
Jesus, always Jesus!