As I indicated in my previous article, SMALL changes can have a BIG IMPACT on our lives in 2020. In addition to the tips I shared last week, below are 5 additional things we can do to ensure that we have the happiest 2020 possible.
6. Begin each day by listening to God! We do so by reading or listening to the Bible. Nothing can so effectively help us to cope with the challenges of life as the word of God. Job said, “I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food” (Job 23:12b). Jeremiah added, “Your word was to me the joy and rejoicing of my heart…” (Jer. 15:16). Jesus said, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Mt. 4:4).
7. Take time to meditate on God’s words. “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, and in His law he meditates day and night. He shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season, whose leaf also shall not wither; and whatever he does shall prosper..” (Psa. 1:1-3). Those that take time to MEDITATE (“ponder or deliberate”) on God’s law will be blessed. Don’t just “read and run”; read and think! (See Jam. 1:23-25)
8. Spend more time with Christians. “Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God; but exhort one another DAILY, while it is called "Today," lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin" (Heb 3:12-13; see also Heb. 10:23-25). The more time we spend with other Christians the easier it will be to maintain our commitment to God.
9. Pray for at least one lost soul daily. The apostle Paul wrote, “Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge” (Rom 10:1-2). Paul could not help but pray for the lost souls of which he was aware. Determine to follow his example.
10. Increase your giving. Jesus said, “Give, and it will be given to you: good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you” (Lk. 6:38). Paul added, “…he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” (2 Cor. 9:6). Increasing your weekly contribution by even a few dollars will bring you a generous return from God!
Jesus, always Jesus!