Things that endure and stand the test of time are impressive. Examples include life-long marriages or friendships, well-constructed houses or furniture, long-lasting vehicles, appliances, tools or clothing.
As impressive as these might be, nothing compares with the enduring words of God as recorded in the Bible. Written over a period 1600 years and completed some 2,000 years ago, it continues to flourish despite countless attempts to discredit it. Some of the world’s brightest (so-called) intellectuals claimed that the Bible would obsolete by the end of the 19th century. Yet in the 21st century it continues to be the world's #1 bestseller.
Moreover, the Bible itself repeatedly affirms that God’s word will endure forever.
- “The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever" (Isa. 40:8).
- “Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven” (Psa. 119:89).
- "Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away" (Matt. 24:35, Mark 13:31).
- “...the Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35).
- “…the word of God which lives and abides forever... (1 Pet. 1:23).
- “The grass withers, And its flower falls away, But the word of the LORD endures forever" (1 Peter 1:24-25).
Hammer and the Anvil (Author unknown)
- Last eve I passed beside a blacksmith's door and heard the anvil ring the vesper chime:
- Then looking in, I saw upon the floor old hammers, worn with beating years of time.
- "How many anvils have you had," said I, "To wear and batter all these hammers so?"
- "Just one," said he, and then, with twinkling eye, "The anvil wears the hammers out, you know."
- And so, thought I, the anvil of God's word, for ages skeptic blows have beat upon;
- Yet though the noise of falling blows was heard, the anvil is unharmed; the hammers gone.
A Recommitted Me in 2023!