Children enjoy playing, “Follow the leader". Attempting to mimic every move of the leader is stimulating and fun. Although the "followers” may not imitate the leader perfectly, they rarely give up trying.
Should it not be the same with Christians? There is no question that Jesus calls all men to follow Him. He commanded,
· “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and FOLLOW ME.” Mt. 16:24
· "My sheep hear my voice and FOLLOW ME." Jn. 10:27
· "If any man serves me, let him FOLLOW ME." John 12:26
Why follow Jesus? Below are 3 good reasons:
1. Because of what He DID for us:
· He left heaven and came to earth - Phil. 2:6-9.
· He became poor that we might be rich – 2 Cor. 8:9.
· He suffered in order to aid us – Heb. 2:18.
· He was punished in our place - Isa. 53:5
· He gave His life that we might live - Heb. 7:27.
2. Because of what He is DOING for us:
· He is in the presence of God on our behalf – Heb. 9:24.
· He is making intercession for us – Heb. 7:25.
· He is advocating for our benefit - 1 Jn. 2:1
· He is preparing a place for us – Jn. 14:2.
· He is with us right now - Mt. 28:20.
3. Because of what He WILL do for us:
· He is coming back to get us - 1 Thess. 4:16-17.
· He will present us with a crown of life – Jam, 1:12, Rev. 2:10.
· He will give us joint ownership in heaven – Mt. 25:34, Rom. 8:17.
· He will grant us treasures that last forever – 1 Pet. 1:3.
· He will be with us forever – 1 Thess. 4:17b.
Children may play “Follow the Leader” to win a small prize. But those of us that follow Jesus to the end will receive far more - Rev. 2:10. "Where He leads me I will follow."
Jesus, always Jesus!