As we journey towards heaven, Satan will attempt to detour, divert or distract us with various temptations. Fortunately, the Apostle Peter provides valuable assistance in 1 PET 5:8-9: “Be SOBER, be VIGILANT; because your adversary the devil WALKS ABOUT LIKE A ROARING LION, seeking WHOM he may devour. RESIST HIM, STEADFAST IN THE FAITH, knowing that the SAME SUFFERINGS ARE EXPERIENCED by your brotherhood in the world.”
In this passage, Peter provides 7 “tips” for fighting the devil.
1) “Be SOBER…”
- “Sober” means to be clear headed; capable of rational thinking.
- Therefore, we must not allow the devil to “impair” our judgment with “intoxicants” such as alcohol, illicit drugs, lusts or the love of things.
2) “…be VIGILANT…”
- “Vigilant” means “alert, wary, on guard.”
- In other words, we must STAY ON OUR TOES! (“…let us NOT SLEEP, as others do, but let us WATCH and be sober.” 1 Thess. 5:6)
3) “…because your adversary the devil WALKS ABOUT like a roaring lion…
- “Walks about” suggests moving here, there, and BACK AGAIN!
- Remember - if the devil appears to leave you alone at times, he will ALWAYS return to the “scene of the crime.” Don’t be caught off guard! (Review point # 2.)
4) “…seeking WHOM he may devour.”
- Just as with wild lions, the devil always seeks WEAK or VULNERABLE prey!
- DON’T BE AN EASY TARGET! Avoid people, places, things or habits that make you susceptible to his attacks!
5) “RESIST him…”
- Don’t give up without a FIGHT! Just say, “ NO!”
- “RESIST the devil and he will flee from you.” JAM 4:7b
6) “…steadfast in the FAITH…”
- No one can fend off the devil for long without faith.
- Strengthen your faith by reading God’s word (Rom 10:17) and assembling with the saints.
7) “…knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.
- Remember - you are NOT ALONE in being tempted. We ALL struggle with certain sins.
- But by assembling and serving God TOGETHER, we can stay “on course” and finish the race!
Jesus, always Jesus!