By the time you read this, most or all of our school-age children have returned to classes. Although “Back to School” is a welcome reprieve for many parents, it should be a time of genuine concern for Christian families. Morally and spiritually speaking, secular schools have declined alarmingly in the past 50 years. Not only do temptations abound, many schools actively promote sinful activities such as safe sex, homosexuality and transgenderism. Moreover, erroneous theories and flawed philosophies, including evolution, moral relativism (“If it feels right it can’t be wrong!”) and humanism ("You are the captain of your soul!”) are taught without apology.
Thus it is essential that Christian parents help their children to be spiritually prepared for the perils they will be exposed to in school. Below are five things parents can do to help their children withstand the ungodly influences so common in schools today.
1. Pray with your children before school. (“The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much” James 5:16.)
2. Pray for your children while they are in school. (“…be serious & watchful in your prayers" 1 Peter 4:7.)
3. Remember that “heaven-work”(reading the Bible) is more vital than homework. (“Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God" Matt. 4:4.)
4. Bring your children to EVERY Bible class, worship service, and church activity possible. (“…but exhort one another daily...lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin” Heb. 3:13.)
5. Say "NO” to all questionable or un-chaperoned school activities. (“Abstain from every form of evil” 1 Thess. 5:22.)
Without the constant guidance and prayers of Godly parents, it is virtually impossible for our children to resist the temptations and ungodly influences in school. Doing the five aforementioned things will definitely help!
Jesus, always Jesus!