It's the "back to school" time of year. Families have been shopping for supplies, clothing, shoes and other pertinent items in anticipation of the first day back.
Although returning to school is exciting for most children (and a welcome reprieve for many parents), it should be a time of concern for Christian families. Morally and spiritually, secular schools have declined alarmingly in the past 50 years. Not only do temptations abound, many teachers encourage erroneous theories and philosophies, including evolution, moral relativism, and secularism.
It is essential that Christian parents help their children to be spiritually prepared for their return to school. There are five things parents can do to help their children withstand the ungodly influences prevalent in the schools.
1. Pray with your children before they leave for school. (“The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.” James 5:16b)
2. Pray for your children during the school day. (“…be serious & watchful in your prayers…” 1 Peter 4:7b)
3. When your children come home, insist that “heaven-work” (Bible study) comes before homework. (“…desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby…” 1 Peter 2:2)
4. Bring your children to every Bible class, worship service, and other church activities. (“…but exhort one another daily, while it is called today, lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.” Heb. 3:13)
5. Say no to questionable or un-chaperoned school activities. (“Test all things; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.” 1 Thess. 5:21-22)
Our children need help in resisting the temptations and negative influences in school. Doing the five aforementioned things will help!
Jesus, always Jesus!